Monday, April 23, 2012

April 23, 2012 - A day in the life

To break the monotomy of ordinary life, we try to throw in activities to keep the girls occupied.  During a typical week Madeline has two full days of Preschool, and Lucy has a class through Early Childhood Education called the "World of One-derful One's" once a week. Other ways their days are filled is with trips to Target, the library, the park, the mall for shopping and playtime, Target (oops I said that already).  Of course there is reading, coloring, singing, dancing (Madeline's favorite), swinging, nap time - for what it's worth with insomniac children, chalking, walking.  You get the point.  We're an ordinary family with extraordinary children in our opinion. 

A good example of this was on our walk to the park tonight.  Madeline spotted an American flag sticking out of some person's flower pot.

Madeline: Daddy, look.  It's a flag.
Daddy: Where?

Madeline: Over there (pointing across the street and down the block)
Daddy: It sure is.  Do you know what we do when we see an American flag. 

Keep in mind.  I'm thinking to myself that I'm going to use this as a moment to teach my daugther something I learned in grade school - and also to see if I remembered the words.

Daddy: We say the Pledge of Allegiance.  (I start recanting the pledge loudly as we walk down the street).  "I pledge allegiance to the flag of the ....."

I thought I heard Madeline saying something, but as I was going to tell her to listen to me, I heard this....

Daddy: "... of the United States of America.  And to the Republic for which it stands, one nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

I stopped for a minute.  Unsure of what I had just heard.  Could a not yet 4-year old really know the Pledge of Allegiance? My jaw dropped as I suddenly broke into a proud gait to the park.  I was impressed.  In the world in which we live in, the pledge has become such a hot topic between religious and political opinion that some schools no longer say it, here was my 3.5 year old reciting the pledge verbatim. 

When I got home, I immediately shared this information with Jessica.  While equally impressed, she informed me that she learned the words at school.  The kids say it every morning before school.  In addition, she said Madeline also knows all the colors in sign language - we went through all of the colors.  Neither Jessica and I know how to sign colors, so there is our daughter teaching us sign language as we prepared dinner.  Before I know it, Madeline is going to be solving mathmatical theorems all before kindegarten.  Many kudos to you Primrose!

And for the visually stimulated, here are some pictures from our journey to the park:


Free enjoyment. Our girls love to swing, Madeline more than Lucy at this point. Madeline could literally spend all day swinging as she says, "Mommy, push me high into the sky."




Lucy better watch out. If she doesn't sleep through the night soon, we're going to lock her out. Kidding of course, kind of.


Our beloved pet, Jersey. She takes a beating full of love around the house. On this night, both girls wanted to take the Jerz on a walk through the kitchen.




Watching one of my favorites, Charlotte's Web, while in her makeshift floor bed in the playroom.

Reading books all by her bigself in the princess tent. 

No comments: